Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Why I love Motorcycle Peeps

I'm proud to call myself a motorcyclist.  We are a different breed, no doubt about it.  And its not something you can explain to someone who isn't.  You either get it or you don't, period.  We look out for each other almost like family.  In fact I consider most of the friends I've made through motorcycling my extended family.  On a recent trip to pick up a new-to-me bike I was the benefactor of much kindness and generosity.  The type that generally comes with a trusting friendship and that motorcyclists often bestow on their own.

After a long and tiresome day of travel I finally reached my final destination, the half way point of my 1,600 mile round trip.  The seller, with whom I'd only shared a few emails and phone calls during the transaction, graciously invited me to stay the night at his home.  "We have an empty guest room and my wife is a good cook" he offered.  Imagine asking a stranger you hardly know to share your home for an evening with your family.  Its pretty amazing if you ask me.  But when you consider the bond we share as motorcyclists and the natural way we interact its not uncommon at all.  It was an offer I was honored to accept.  Besides having the chance to talk bikes and swap stories with a new friend it was a much better option than a hotel.  The next day we loaded up the bike and extra parts that came with the deal and I was off.

I divided the return trip into two legs to lessen the stress of a long drive and enjoy some more motorcyclist hospitality.  Another biker buddy of mine who lives along the way always offers his place as a rest stop whenever he hears I'll be in the state or passing by.  I usually don't have the time to enjoy his company, but this time I decided to take him up on it.  Besides he is planning on moving to Spain and we may not get a chance to see each other for quite some time.  We keep in touch mostly via social media, but are also active members of Motorcycle Addicts who gather frequently and have spawned several road racing careers from its cast of crazies.  After another good night sleep in a friends home I awoke to a pancake breakfast before I returned to my family with new bike in tow.

Similar scenarios play out every day between my extended family of cycle nuts.  The reciprocity of human kindness and acts of paying it forward are commonplace.  We're not an exclusive club either.  New members are born everyday from the simple desire be a motorcyclist.  Won't you join us?


Thank you, Paul and Juan.  This entry was inspired by you.

No comments: